Solidarity

Motherhood can be a lonely profession. I can't count how many times I've called myself a bad mom, wishing I could be a good mom like everyone else. Told myself I'm ruining my children with my parenting mistakes. Thought no one else could possibly have ever felt the same way as me.

Blogging couldn't have come at a better time for me. In the last 5 months, I've gone from one child to two and started staying at home with the kids. Don't get me wrong, I love my life. But it was a big adjustment. There have been bumps in the road. But I've found a sense of solidarity in the blogosphere of all places.

It's comforting to hear other moms share the same feelings I am sometimes ashamed to admit to myself, let alone anyone else. I can visit some of my favorite blogs and suddenly I'm smiling. Some days laughing. I want to take the time to acknowledge these talented ladies and their blogs.

amy lou @ spontaneus blah: Amy's blog was the first I read on a regular basis. I actually know Amy in real life which is why I originally checked out Spontaneous Blah. She has a beautiful daughter born about a month before Little One. Amy is a very talented writer. After reading her blog for some time, I finally decided to give it a try myself.

The Mommy Diaries
: I happened upon The Mommy Diaries one day and couldn't stop reading. I could relate to so many of the posts. Getting a toddler to poop on the potty comes to mind! From this blog, I checked out many other "mommy blogs". I'm so glad I did because I've found lots of other great blogs since!

Baby Tea Leaves: If you've read much of my blog, you've probably noticed my "Hot for the Holiday" posts on Fridays. (We won't talk about how this week is going. Birthday cake. Soda. Chips. The weekend birthday party really messed with me.) Christie is the organizer of this weight loss challenge. She is very motivational!

The Gift: A Year of Writing Dangerously: Written by another mom who recently made the transition to the SAHM/WAHM gig, I find a lot of things to relate to at The Gift. I admire her dedication to blog every single day. Try as I may, I can't seem to get a post in every day. I love the variety of topics too.

Table For 4: I found this blog recently thanks to the Hot for the Holidays challenge. Jessi is so down to earth and I feel like we have a lot in common. I always enjoy chatting with her!

So there's my short list. Please don't take it personally if I didn't highlight your blog! There are many, many blogs that I read regularly and I find inspiration in all of them. These five just stand out for various reasons.

And now I am forcing myself to put down the keyboard and go to bed!

3 comments:

Rebecca said...

Shelley - Great post, I feel the same way about the blog community, being a mom and the solitary nature of it all. It's not easy. In fact, I was thinking today about how unjust it is that there is not good word for the work it takes to be a mom...maybe momwork? I don't like housework or the other terms used for women doing work at home to take care of their family. Not to be corny, but we're really CEOs of our home and do so much more than society generally gives us credit for. OK, I'll get off my high horse now and just say...THANKS!

Jessi said...

Shelley, you are so sweet to have included me in your list. However, I feel just as lost as a mom since I, too, started staying at home just a short 5.5 months ago. I can't begin to tell you just how much I've recently thought "I don't know what I'm doing". There are things that kids *aren't* doing yet (rolling over, eating well with utensils, staying in children's church without crying, the list goes on) that makes me second-guess my decision to stay at home with them...would they be better off in day care?

Caring for two children has definitely been an adjustment for me, too. And I've really enjoyed our "getting to know each other" chats....comparing notes and just being able to talk things through with other mommies who know exactly what you're going through is so very therapeutic. It's been such a blessing to see just how many blogs I visit are currently posting about their mommy experiences...I realize that I'm not alone. I'm definitely going to check out Amy @ Spontaneous Blah...thanks for the recommendations. ;-)

Esther said...

Thank you so much for your kind words Shelley! *blushing* I, too, enjoy the Mommy blogging community so much. After our move in May, I was quite lonely. My mommy friends in my computer kept me going! It's so great to know that there are other moms out there, wondering how to get THEIR three year old to poop on the potty. Other moms to laugh with and cry with. So thanks, Shelley, thanks for being one of those moms!