Eight Years Ago Today...

Hubs and I said, "I do". Or some variation thereof. I don't remember our exact vows. (I know you don't either, Hubs, so don't try to act hurt!) But, of course I remember the spirit of our vows.

Hubs and I met over 11 years ago when we were in college (did I really just admit I was in college 11 years ago?). We met our freshman year of college. We both worked at one of the college dining centers. I didn't think much of him when I first met him. It's not that I disliked him, I just didn't know him well. He flirted with a lot of girls and that wasn't my thing.

I distinctly remember my last day on campus. I went to the dining center to say good bye to the janitor, Henderson, who was the coolest janitor on the planet. Everyone loved him. I ran into Hubs and asked him if he had seen Henderson. He hadn't. I moved on. I'm sure we exchanged "have a nice summer"s. But that was it. I had a mission before leaving campus and Hubs was not part of it. (Incidentally, I don't remember if I ever found Henderson, yet I still remember this interaction with Hubs.)

That changed when we came back to school that fall. Our first date was in the beginning of October (maybe Oct 10? Can't remember for sure). He took me to Perkins. Such a romantic! :-) It must have worked since we're still married!

We grew close very quickly, rarely leaving each other's side when we had free time. We experienced the highest of highs and the lowest of lows in our relationship. Both being stubborn people, we went head-to-head frequently. We had some big and bad arguments in the first several years (even after we were married). I'll be the first to admit my communication skills were poor. I expected him to read my mind and give me the emotional fulfillment I needed. I gave subtle (and not-so-subtle) hints all the time. Why can men pick up on that?

Despite the fact that we were married a week after my mother in law's funeral, the day was beautiful. We had been together for 3 years at that point. There were still more arguments to come, hurdles for us to cross as a couple. I could dwell on the things that we did that hurt each other. Instead, I choose to focus on how far we've come.

Hubs is the only man for me. There are no greener pastures. He is it. We have created a beautiful family together. Even during stressful times, I want us to be together. I want us to tackle it as a team. He may drive me insane sometimes but I love him so! Of course, I never drive him insane since I'm the model wife and mother. No comments from you, Hubs!

My thoughts aren't very well organized here. I really just want to say happy anniversary to Hubs. Thank you for sticking by me through all of my craziness even when you didn't really know how to handle me. Thank you for our two beautiful children (they get their listening skills, or lack thereof from you, just for the record). Thank you for all of the fun, silly moments we've shared. We need more of those.

I love you, Hubs!

3 comments:

Esther said...

How sweet! Congratulations on 8 years, you made it through the 7 year itch! ;-) Blessings to you on more happy years together!

Anonymous said...

I know of no other way to reply to comments but to leave one of my own!
I love your blog! Yes, I too hate pink eye! She gets it the most in our family!

Thank you for your comments!

How are you? Happy belated 8th Anniversary. Your post is almost exactly how I feel about my HUB!

Jolene said...

aww...Hope you had a Happy Anniversary. Your comment about listening skills made me laugh.