Daydreaming with Sand Between My Toes

I want to be here...


Or here...


But instead, I'm here...


I love the ocean. Love it. I would live by the ocean if it didn't mean being thousands of miles from my parents. Living in Iowa, I don't get many chances to stand at the ocean's shore. I'm not complaining about my life. I love my kids and my family. But I could use some crashing waves and seagulls flying overhead. Leave the skinny girls clad in bikinis at home. I prefer the relaxing, cleansing version of the beach. A place to contemplate life's complexities.

Since I don't have an ocean in my backyard (or anywhere within driving distance), I had to settle for this...



What in the world does this sweet little sheep have to do with the ocean? This is Little One's little Lamby (I would have taken my own picture of her actual lamb but she's currently nursing... again), complete with 4 different nature sounds. One of them is the ocean. That's our favorite. Or at least my favorite, therefore, it's Little One's favorite since she has no choice in the matter!

Lately, nap time has been non-existent for her. However, I've found if I turn on the ocean sound, hold little one in my arms, pat her butt to a constant beat, sway from side to side, and bounce up and down rhythmically, she'll fall asleep. At this point, I can put her in her crib where she will open her eyes and assess the situation. Lamby gets snuggled up close to her, ocean sounds still lulling her to sleep. I leave the room. She attempts to fend of the impending nap with a few half-hearted cries. Sleep usually wins. At least for 45 minutes. Which is better than the 0 minutes she has been napping.

Today during my butt patting-side swaying-rhymically bouncing rock fest (which incidentally is a great arm workout), I closed my eyes and listened to Lamby. I don't often visualize myself in another place. I daydream but never of things like this. Today I visualized myself on the beach. I could see the endless waves disappearing at the horizon. I could see the sand, riddled with tiny pebbles and shells, squishing between my toes. I imagined the waves crashing at my feet as I walked along the shore. It was a calming exercise that I've never really tried before. It could be advantageous on those days when I'm ready to drive straight to the airport and hop the next fight to anywhere!

I think I may have to claim Lamby for myself.

No comments: