Mornings

I'm not a morning person. I'm just not. I'd really like to be. I'd love to wake up with a smile on my face and a song in my heart. I'd love to bounce out of bed and throw myself into the day's work. But I don't. Hubs isn't so big on the early mornings either.

It appears that Little One subscribes to our late morning wake up time. She rarely wakes up before 8 or 9 and on some occasions has slept until 10. Big One? Not so much. He's usually up by 7:30 at the latest. I know, I know. That really isn't all that early. But it is for me!

This morning the wake up call came at 6. What's that yelling? Why? Why are we yelling? It's still sleeping time. There is no yelling before 7. Yet there was.

After carefully navigating the minefields of toys in Big One's room, I was close enough to interpret his screams.

"I'm wet! My bed is soaked! Wahhhhhhh!"

We've finally mastered potty training during the day, even in public. Night time is another subject. Being frugal, I bought cheap diapers last time for bed. Bad idea. Big One's bed was like the kiddie pool except it was 100% urine instead of a 50/50 split. We changed his clothes and tried to settle him into our bed for at least another hour.

Not happening. The shadows. Oh the shadows. He cried hysterically and mumbled about being scared. We ditched all efforts of more sleep in favor of cartoons. We may have held our ground longer but for the threat of Little One also waking up from her brother's screams. Two screaming children at 6am? No thanks.

Finally, silence. Coffee. Acceptance that the day has begun, with or without my approval. No point in fighting it.

But wait, there's more drama to be had this morning. Big One is obsessed with his blankets. Duck Blankie by far leads the group in importance. But the others are also held in high regard. Suddenly it dawned on him that they were soaked.

"What about Batman and Elmo and McQueen?"

"They'll have to get a bath."

"NOOOOOOOOO!" More tears ensued. "Can I have M&Ms?"

"No! You haven't even had breakfast yet."

"But I really want them."

"No, Big One."

"WAAAAAA!"

Is it nap time yet?

3 comments:

Rebecca said...

I totally feel for you...I hate those types of mornings. I LOVE sleep (as evidenced by a bunch of my posts dedicated to this love of mine) so your scenerio would kill my morning too!

Esther said...

My kids have a new internal alarm clock now that school has started. 6:30 am on school mornings? Fine, we have to get going. 6:30 am on a SATURDAY??? Not.so.fine. Then on Sundays, when we have to be up for 8am church, they choose to sleep in. AARRGGHHH. I feel your pain!

Jolene said...

I'm not a morning person either. I need a certain amount of sleep to be fully functional in the morning, and I usually don't get it. (You made me laugh with the kiddie pool 50/50 split.)