Hot for the Holidays Week 1

Today is the first Fat Ticker Friday for the Hot for the Holidays challenge. Are there mulligans in this challenge? I could use one this week. Oops! I didn't quite stick with the plan. The scale reflected my lack of discipline. It did go in the right direction but only by half a pound.

The whole healthy eating/exercise thing went well until about Wednesday. I ate veggies and went for walks with the family in the beginning of the week. WWBD (What would bloggers do?) has been a common theme so far in this challenge. On Tuesday, WWBD helped me avoid sending my hubby to Dairy Queen for a hot fudge and caramel sundae. After a stressful bedtime routine, you don't know how much I wanted that soft serve! But my fellow HFH bloggers motivated me to stay the course.

Then Wednesday happened. Hubby had a cold. A cold that made the world stop. At least his world. He stayed home from work and slept. All day long. I could go on about this but I'll just leave it at that! My 3 year old was wild since Daddy was home during the week. It wasn't a good day.

Do you know who was there for me? A box of brownies. Brownies were there for me. I asked myself WWBD. Apparently I channeled a sect of rogue bloggers set on ruining my diet. I caved. I baked the brownies and I ate them. A lot of them. So it's really no surprise that the scale didn't take the downward dive I had hoped. But there's always next week!

As part of the challenge, the question of the week is: "What would you like your legacy to be?" Good question. Here it goes.

I'm really only concerned with what my family and close friends think of me, now and after I'm gone. If I really drill down to the heart of it, it's mainly my kids that I'm talking about. I want to be Supermom to them. Not the Supermom that is always on the go with perfect hair and make up, proving just how supreme she is to all the other lowly mothers. (Let's be honest, I haven't put on make up in months. I don't think I'd recognize myself if I put it on. Hairstyles? How does a ponytail sound?) The kind of Supermom who is always there for the kids to love them and hopefully guide them in their lives.

I want my kids to have a childhood they relish. When they're adults, I want them to say, "Remember the time mom..." and I want it to be a happy memory. I want them to remember spending time with me doing fun things. Not going to Disney World fun things, just the everyday things. Baking cookies. Playing in the backyard. Decorating for holidays. I work from home to pay the bills (for some reason the mortgage company is picky about getting paid every month). It's a tough balance. Do I work a few extra hours so we can buy groceries this week or do I cuddle with the kids? I hope that my kids know just how much I love and cherish everything they do. I want them to think of their mom and smile.

I hope you all have a truly wonderful weekend! I have a couple little monkeys who need some attention.

7 comments:

Christie O. said...

awww your post brought tears to my eyes! i really love your version of "supermom" so much better than that crazy standard that seems to be out there. your definition is the REAL supermom and your children are lucky to have you. :)

congrats on the loss, despite rogue blogger channeling/slash/brownie yumminess!

Tiffers said...

EXCELLENT post! Supermom is whatever YOU make it. My son recently wrote about his family and he boasted about how great a cook his mom is. I was like, WOW! I didn't think he really noticed. Ice cream is my downfall. Ironically, since I started water aerobics and really working at my weight loss, ice cream doesn't have that "OHMYGOSH" taste anymore.

Dana said...

Glad to see someone else is in the same boat with a half pound lost-but a loss is a loss! I love your post. I've been feeling quite down on myself lately for not being supermom and realized I just need to change my definition. (I will argue that a ponytail is definitely a style! :)) I also work from home. I love that I can be home with my kids but it is definitely a balancing act and I make the SAME decision every day--extra money or take the kids to the park? Thanks for the post!

Melanie said...

Your definition of supermom is perfect!!

And a half a pound is way better than a gain.

http://ourhappyhappenings.com

Rebecca said...

That was a sweet post. I feel exactly the same way about being a "good" mom for them. I recently quit my job to stay home and will also be doing consulting from home to bring in some extra money. It was such a HARD decision but I'm so happy I finally did it.

About the brownies...we've all been there! One day at a time. :)

BTW, thanks for visiting my blog! I loved your comment.

Anonymous said...

Oh my gosh!! Like everyone else loved how you managed to convey the feelings that most of us our thinking. We would love to be that mom or dad that gets that aaahhhh I actually made a good impact on my son or daughters childhood that they continue to talk about it well into adulthood!

Sorry I didn't get by here quicker but noone wanted to share their 24 hour timebank with me and mine was depleted!! :)

Congrats on even a little loss. I most likely will have a gain this next time. Ugh sickness is running through the household and stress is high. So that means eating!!

Will keep checking back on your progress!

Good luck

Charline said...

Oh the weight thing. I think I'll be posting on this soon. Yes, it is so less important than being a good mom.

I have to admit to myself that I just don't care enough to lose the weight I should right now. I have other things to worry about. Two not-so-little things. :)

So, go mom. You're doing the right thing.